Saturday 28 February 2009

St David's Eve

Tomorrow is St David's Day, March 1st.  I have bought some cut daffodils, which in the fire-warmth of the living room have started to open.  Tomorrow we will bake Welsh cakes and no doubt I will mull over the duller aspects of my Welsh family history.  March is not winter, as February is not spring, so this is my last Winter Journal entry.  I like the idea that there are days of the surrounding months in each month; that February has cold bright sunny days and March has hopeless dark wet days, but also April days of warmth and birdsong.  It has turned colder here again, cold enough for a frost perhaps.  

The days are longer and have seemed warmer, and our thoughts have stretched away from the fire to the garden and the outside world.  Our attitude if not the weather is becoming spring-like, vernal.  I want to be outside, planting and gardening.  My year has turned a corner and is heading for the summer, even on a cold night like tonight.  

I lost a few entries in January and early February and with moving house I lost the attention to small detail that I was trying to bring to the Journal.  And I have been without a camera for a month now.  But 'them's the breaks' and a small consideration.  I have enjoyed writing these observations and think it a good thing for a writer to work to even self-imposed deadlines.  

Another letter to an unknown reader.   Thank you for reading and following my Season.  No more of this Journal, but a Summer Journal will complete my on-line Year, and I will continue to write the landscape writings and Walkpoints blog. 

No comments: