Thursday 8 January 2009

Beechthoughts and Mildness

Beechwoods and distant snow; the beechring at Offa's Dyke, January 7th 2009

I could write a lot about beech woods and their landscapes; I love beech trees. That is one reason I have so much fierce love - affection is the wrong word for such an extreme place - for the beechring on the Dyke. The snow was plastered against the trunks in other woods but presumably had nothing to stick to up there. I often think about these visited places when I am warm and cosy, when I am about to fall asleep; a way of reassuring myself of my security, perhaps. I often think I could live in a beech wood.


Milder today after a cold start. With a prolonged cold snap - or indeed high summer temperatures - I become obsessive about checking the temperature, logging it, making it a part of my day. So now it is a degree or two - deliberate imprecision - below freezing but is expected to fall slightly further tonight. At the weekend it is expected to be mild - ie above freezing all the time. It will seem tropical.

No comments: